RootsDev is an informal community of developers, designers, database managers, family historians, and genealogists who are working with genealogical tools and data.
Join us if...
- You're working on an open-source family tree program and want to discuss it.
- You're want to talk about new standards like historical-data or old standards like GEDCOM.
- You're trying to figure out how to use APIs to sites like FamilySearch.
- You're looking for an open-source project to contribute to.
- You want to get feedback for your closed-source software or recruit developers for your company.
- You're trying to figure out how to encode documents of genealogical interest.
RootsDev spun off of a conversation on the Family Search Developer Network mailing list. One developer suggested that we needed a community, another suggested we needed standards, another suggested we needed to rally behind an open-source project, and yet another just wanted a place to discuss development practices in the family history domain.
Eventually we created RootsDev, modeled on the successful community of library programmers at #code4lib.